The Cognitive Scientist works with the development team to implement and refine software tools and tutoring models that provide students with an engaging educational experience. This includes translating curricular needs into product requirements, researching existing approaches, designing educational interactions, and developing active cognitive and tutoring models using a combination of off-the-shelf and in-house development tools.
* Deliver a cognitive model, implemented using an in-house development tool, describing the various components of a particular type of math problem, the various states of the student’s thinking about the problem, and the various cognitive skills exercised by the student in the course of solving the problem.
* Deliver a tutoring model, linked to the cognitive model, containing the text of all assistance and remediation that will be given to the student while solving the problem.
* Create a specification of the communication between the cognitive model and the user interface for a particular type of problem.
* Document procedures/processes/best practices used in the development of the above.
* Candidates must have an advanced degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Cognitive Science, Computer Science/Artificial Intelligence, Educational Psychology, Educational Technology, or a related field.
* Candidates should have a strong background in user-centered software design, preferably in educational software.
* Candidates with experience in cognitive modeling, Java/Lisp/Python programming, and/or statistics are preferred.
* Teaching and/or tutoring experience (particularly in mathematics) would be a plus.
* Must be eligible to work in the United States.
This job is in our Pittsburgh office. Carnegie Learning pays competitive salaries and offers excellent benefits.
Please send CVs/resumes or inquiries to Brendon Towle, firstname.lastname@example.org .