PhD Studentships - Horizon doctoral training centre
The Doctoral Training Centre at the University of Nottingham (UK) is recruiting on to a unique PhD programme for the Digital Economy. We have funding for 14 UK/EU students.
Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute Horizon Doctoral Training Centre for the Digital Society
Digital Economy promises to transform the ways in which we work, shop,
travel, learn, socialise and play. It is transforming many aspects of
society, particularly with regard to technology and provides research
challenges in both technical and social areas, including:
· Ubiquitous Computing - where millions of computers are embedded in the world around us;
· Location-Aware Computing - taking advantage of knowing the geographical position of these fixed or mobile computing and communications devices.
· Science in Society
- considering the technological, social or legal perspectives to the
grand challenge associated with modelling users, their environment and
the interactions between the two.
are interested in students from a wide variety of backgrounds including
computer science, engineering, psychology, sociology, business,
geography, social science and the arts, providing that they have an
excellent first degree and can demonstrate an enthusiasm for
you like to be at the heart of this revolution, researching across the
disciplines to explore new uses of ubiquitous and location-aware
computing, creating new technologies, or studying their impact on
Doctoral Training Centre at the University of Nottingham is recruiting
on to a unique PhD programme for the Digital Economy. Supported by RCUK
and over 30 industry partners, we are training a community of over 70
PhD students to become the next generation of research leaders in this
field within industry or academia.
current industry partners include: Active Ingredient, Aerial, BBC,
Blast Theory, BT, EADS Astrium, EUROCONTROL, Fhios, Guidance Monitoring,
HP, HW Communications, IBM, innovITS, Leica Geosystems, Location and
Timing KTN, Logica, Microsoft, Network Rail, Nokia, Nottingham
Scientific, Ordnance Survey, PARC, Scott Wilson, SERCO, Thales, Trinity
House, TRL Technology.
Our students will benefit from:
fully-funded four-year PhD programme that integrates a leading-edge
research project with research training in interdisciplinary skills.
personalised pathway through this programme that enables students to
gain a balance of skills across key technology areas, future
applications and human and societal issues.
• Training in innovation and ingenuity to equip students for careers in industry, from global companies to start-ups.
three-month salaried internship at one of our partners including BBC,
BT, EADS Astrium, HP, IBM, Logica, Microsoft, Network Rail, Nokia,
Ordnance Survey, PARC, Scott Wilson and Thales (see list above)
• Regular seminars and meetings with industry representatives to develop contacts with future employers.
• An enhanced stipend of £15,400 per annum as well as a personal laptop.
• Supervision from international leaders in the associated disciplines.
• Use of over £3m state-of-the-art facilities including positioning and sensing testbeds and transport simulators.
• Career guidance support tailored to individual needs.
• Office and laboratory space on Nottingham's award-winning Jubilee Campus.
have funding for 14 UK/EU students. Places are also available for those
in receipt of four year independent funding/scholarships. Please note we do not have any international studentships available, so please do not enquire.