Post-doc position available in adaptivity and Personalization in Informatics (Athabasca University, Canada - iCORE Research Chair team)
We are looking for a highly motivated post-doc, with PhD obtained within last 3 years. Applications will be considered as they arrive, starting from June 25, 2009.
* The duration of the post-doc is 24 months, starting as soon as possible.
* The post-doc will be a member of the iCORE Research Chair team (http://icore.athabascau.ca) at Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada.
* Successful candidate will be located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
* The research is to be done under the supervision of Prof. Kinshuk.
* The fellowship is valued at Canadian $50,000 per annum and subject to review every six months.
* The post-doc is eligible for a travel allowance of Canadian $5,000 (subject to production of actual receipts) to reimburse expenses incurred in relocation or in connection with their research, or attendance at high quality conferences (subject to presenting papers) during the period of their fellowship.
* How to apply: send an email to Prof. Kinshuk at firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed CV, your interest for the position, rationale for your suitability, ...
The candidate will be associated with a research project on adaptivity and personalization. The project aims to extend our understanding of mobile learning to provide rich learning experiences in higher education by exploiting the benefits of location, device and student modelling, and combining them with web and mobile technologies to achieve personalized and situation-specific learning through the analysis of students' surroundings, situation-specific problem-solving by students through multiple forms of input (such as text typed by keypad or in digital ink, images taken by mobile devices' camera, audio recorded on mobile device and so on), for rich learning experiences.
Along with the research, development and other similar activities as specified by the supervisor professor, the post-doc will participate in meetings with project partners to present the progress of his/her work, discuss choices, strategies, limitations, ... to achieve project goals. The post-doc will also be communicating, creating task descriptions and supervising various undergraduate, master's and PhD students who are undertaking various tasks within the project, and will liaise with other team members to ensure the coherency and integrity of the development work.
* Previous research experience in adaptivity and personalization
* Strong background in computer science and programming (java, mysql, linux)
* Experience with research and programming for wireless mobile environments (WinCE environment)
* Familiarity with educational theories and paradigms